The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 is the main and overarching legislation covering occupational
health and safety in the United Kingdom. This legislation together with The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 places responsibility on business owners, directors, management, supervisors and employees
for the health and safety and a duty of care for all people affected by their operations. You won’t find reference
to flagpoles in either of these documents but the legislation applies to
them all the same.
Our flagpole maintenance and inspection service
to keep your flagpole in a safe working condition
. Often positioned near to or overhanging
the general public, flags and flagpoles
are exposed to continuous movement
at times tremendous strain.
We recommend annual maintenance
as a way to keep
a check on the safety of your flagpole. All inspections and maintenance work are fully documented
with a written report
that is issued to you as a pdf for inclusion in your building maintenance
Flagpole maintenance work generally consists of:
- Either a thorough close up visual inspection of the flagpole (depending on access) or a visual inspection using binoculars (if access
- Checking, where practical and safely possible, all mounting hardware, brackets,
base plates, anchor bolts, etc.
- Checking the working parts – halyard, finial, cleat, internal mechanisms
– and replacement where necessary.
- Cleaning or painting to improve cosmetic appearance (optional and by prior
- Written report on the findings together with recommendations.
- Fully specified quotation for any further works deemed necessary.
We also offer:
- Flag changing service: regular removal, cleaning, repair and hoisting of flags (London
and surrounding areas only).
- Training your staff on how to raise and lower your flag.