The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 is the main and overarching legislation covering occupational health
and safety in the United Kingdom. This legislation together with the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 places responsibility on business
owners, directors, management, supervisors and employees for the health and safety and a duty of care for all
people affected by their operations.
In addition the Provision and Use of Work Regulations 1998 (PUWER) place duties on people and companies
who own, operate or have control over work equipment. PUWER also places responsibilities on businesses and
organisations whose employees use work equipment, whether owned by them or not.
You won’t find specific reference to flagpoles in any of the above documents
but the legislation applies to them all the same.
Our flagpole maintenance and inspection service is designed
to keep your flagpole in a safe working condition. Often positioned near to or overhanging
the general public, flags and flagpoles are exposed to continuous movement and
at times tremendous strain. We recommend annual maintenance as a way to keep
a check on the safety of your flagpole. All inspections and maintenance work are fully documented with a written report that is issued to you as a pdf for inclusion in your building maintenance
Flagpole maintenance work generally consists of:
- Either a thorough close up visual inspection of the flagpole (depending on access) or a visual inspection using binoculars (if access
- Checking, where practical and safely possible, all mounting hardware, brackets,
base plates, anchor bolts, etc.
- Checking the working parts – halyard, finial, cleat, internal mechanisms
– and replacement where necessary.
- Cleaning or painting to improve cosmetic appearance (optional and by prior
- Written report on the findings together with recommendations.
- Fully specified quotation for any further works deemed necessary.
We also offer:
- Flag changing service: regular removal, cleaning, repair and hoisting of flags (London
and surrounding areas only).
- Training your staff on how to raise and lower your flag.